Our 2017 Weight Loss Competition (WLC) has been finalized and winners have been notified. Please see where the winners were from below.
We want to congratulate everyone who participated and make this program a success that it is.
Did you know, through the history of our WLC, all winners have been people who have weighed in consistently! It helps keep you on track and keeps you healthier. Never give up!!
We want to thank everyone for their patience this year in the wait for the final amounts – we have resolved this problem for the 2018 WLC coming in February! Emails and notices will start showing up in December 2017.
Plaza – 1230.00 – 20.45%
Saint Luke’s Convenient Care – 246.00 – 17.63%
Saint Luke’s North – 164.00 – 14.58%
Plaza – 3967.50 – 19.10%
MRI – 793.50 – 18.18%
MRI – 529.00 – 17.30%
Please keep checking our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/cardiowellness/ and this website (www.cardiowellnesscenter.org) – we will continue to post recipes, menus, and healthy information.
The 2017 WLC has officially ended!
We are entering all the remaining sites final weights.
Winners will be notified by phone by May 31st.
All info will be posted to this website and to our FB page (www.facebook.com/cardiowellness).
Keep up your great work and continue checking out our website – it has your weekly menus for an entire month – even includes your grocery shopping list!
Dr O’Keefe gives us an insight on caffeine – Go ahead and get another cup–it’s good for you! Yes, really. #NationalCaffeineMonth
Here was the information for our last monthly cooking class
Flip through the 4 DelishNutrish videos SLHS shared today for a healthier week!
Know you should be heart healthy, but not sure how to work it into your life? Dr. O’Keefe has some heart hacks for you.
Clear your lungs with Saint Luke’s Cardio Health & Wellness Smokout Program!
When you stamp out that cigarette and don’t light another, your body is on its way to better health in less time that it takes to watch your favorite sitcom. Twenty minutes after your last drag, your blood pressure and heart rate drop. Within weeks, your circulation and lung function improve. One year without smoking and you cut your risk of developing coronary disease by half.
When you quit smoking, it means your breath, clothes, hair, and home no longer smell like cigarette smoke. Teeth brighten, food tastes better, and smells are more potent. You can move through your day without pausing to “catch your breath”.
With each passing smoke-free year, your cancer and stroke risks plummet. Your family and friends who share your air will breathe easier, too.
You can succeed with help form your friends at Saint Luke’s Charles & Barbara Duboc Cardio Health & Wellness Center. Our five-hour smoking cessation program is modeled after QuitSmart and is led by a certified Health & Wellness Coach in Smoking Cessation.
Dates for our Summer/Fall sessions for 2017 are:
June 5, 12, 19, 21, 26, and 27
September 11, 18, 25, 27, October 2, and 9
What will it cost you? $75. Six days. One hour at a time.
Call us at 816-751-8327 to register.
Your heart and loved ones will thank you.
Saint Luke’s Charles & Barbara Duboc Cardio Health & Wellness Center
4321 Washington Street, Suite 2400
Kansas City, MO 64111
There aren’t many things that will do more to improve your health, or your sex appeal, than getting rid of the spare tire around your midsection.
Excess belly fat, especially the kind that accumulates in and around the abdominal organs such as the liver and intestines, churns out stress hormones and inflammatory chemicals. So shedding those extra inches around your waistline is not just a vanity issue: your future health and vitality are at stake. Here are 15 steps that will help to melt the excess belly fat off your waistline so that you can show off your sexy abs again.
- Do interval training. Go hard for 30 to 45 seconds and then ease off for a minute or two while you recover at a slower pace. Try to do at least eight intervals total per training session.
- Build more muscle through strength training; ideally you will need to do three or four weight lifting sessions per week.
- Every day you need to accumulate at least 30, and up to 90 minutes of moderate or hard exercise. What fits into your busy schedule better? An hour of exercise every day or being disabled or dead 24 hours a day?
- Eat protein with each of your meals. Also, try to eat a high quality protein like whey protein or egg whites within two hours before or after exercise.
- Pick two colors with each meal–two servings or more of brightly colored veggies or fruits three times per day.
- Get in the habit of having a glass of low-sodium V-8 juice at breakfast. This is a staple around the O’Keefe household. Just eight ounces of low-sodium V-8 is a quick and easy way to get credit for two servings of vegetables. A recent study showed that drinking at least one glass of low-sodium vegetable juice daily can help overweight people with pre-diabetes lose excess weight.
- Never eat until you are overfull. Eat only until you aren’t hungry anymore.
- Drink at least three cups of green tea per day, or take a green tea supplement. The antioxidants in tea seem to help burn off excess belly fat.
- If you are going to cheat and eat a decadent dessert, French fries, chips, cake etc: follow Joan’s three-bite rule. Pick a treat but you get only three bites. By the way, you only get to use the three-bite rule one time per day, max.
- Markedly cut back on starches and sugars. And eliminate essentially all white foods like white flour, white rice, potatoes, bagels and doughnuts.
- Drink only water (six to eight glasses per day), coffee, tea, and skim milk. No soda pop (even diet pop), no artificial sweeteners, no fruit juices. No caffeine after noon.
- Sleep 7.5 to 8.5 hours per night. This is a critical component of a belly-burning program. Sleep deprivation cranks up your stress hormones that make you crave junk food and then immediately deposits all those calories as fat around your waist.
- Try to eat more healthy fats like fish oil and monounsaturated fats. Take three fish oil capsules per day, and try to eat a handful of nuts per day. Use extra virgin olive oil for your salad dressing and cooking oil uses.
- Take 2,000 IU of Vitamin D3 per day. (Talk to your doctor to see if you need more). Decreased belly fat is just one of a host of important health benefits you will notice when you bring your deficient Vitamin D levels back into the normal range.
- Keep your alcohol intake modest, and drink mostly red wine. Why do you think it’s called a “beer-belly?” One drink per day will reduce abdominal fat, but anything more than two drinks daily accumulates in and around your belly.
Final Dates for the 2017 Weight Loss Competition will be coming soon!
Reminder to all participants, the final days to weigh-in are Monday, May 1st to Friday, May 5th. If you registered at Jewish Community Center, your final date is Saturday, May 6th. Please check with your initial site for their hours of availability.
Remember, you must do your FINAL weight the same location as your INITIAL weigh-in.
Did You Know . . . . . .
A normal BMI is between 18.5 and 25
You are considered overweight if your BMI is between 25 and 30
If your BMI is over 30, you are considered obese
What are the health consequences of obesity for adults?
People who are obese are at increased risk for many diseases and health conditions, including the following:
- All-causes of death (mortality)
- High blood pressure (Hypertension)
- High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides (Dyslipidemia)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Coronary heart disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Osteoarthritis (a breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint)
- Sleep apnea and breathing problems
- Chronic inflammation and increased oxidative stress
- Some cancers (endometrial, breast, colon, kidney, gallbladder, and liver)
- Low quality of life
- Mental illness such as clinical depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders
- Body pain and difficulty with physical functioning
Call and make an appointment today with our Cardio Wellness Center to assess your health! Direct line for scheduling an appointment is 816-751-8327.